- Life Science
- Flow cytometry
- Digital pathology
- QC & Online Services
- Document Centre
- Knowledge Centre
- Clinic & Laboratory
Select your local website
Sentimag - Magseed in breast cancer
Sentimag / Magseed - Magnetic lesion and lymph node localisation
- Small seed. Big impact.
- Confidence meets convenience – for clinicians and patients
- Sentimag® - One system, with multiple flexible applications
- No wire. No radioactivity. Just magnetism.
In recent years, advancements in medical practices have offered more women diagnosed with breast cancer the opportunity to receive breast-conserving and lymph node-sparing surgery. At any stage, the target is to de-escalate the surgical radicality.
To ensure both oncologic safety and patient comfort, reliable marking of lesions and target lymph nodes is a prerequisite. However, many tissue markers encounter significant challenges, including:
- unreliable detectability due to migration or low visibility in imaging
- radiation exposure
- not always suitable for long-term placement
- not always suitable for each tissue type
As a result, patients can experience discomfort, such as unnecessary anxiety, physical pain and a suboptimal cosmetic outcome.
The Magseed® marker has been specifically designed to overcome the challenges of other clip, reflector, tag, radioseed and wire markers. It enables a flexible patient treatment pathway – from placement of the marker until the day of surgery. Magseed® promotes high oncologic safety, accurate tissue localisations and improved patient satisfaction, preventing unnecessary surgery and helping to reduce the extent of the required ones.
Magseed® is used alongside the Sentimag® system, a sensitive magnetic detector that locates the seed. The marker is deployed under ultrasound or X-ray guidance any time before surgery. Once in the operating room, the surgeon then uses the Sentimag® system’s probe to precisely locate the Magseed®, and thereby the lesion or lymph node in which the Magseed® has been placed.
Endomag®, Sentimag® and Magseed® are registered European Union trademarks of Endomagnetics Ltd www.endomag.com
Magtrace® is a registered trademark of Endomagnetics Ltd in the United Kingdom www.endomag.com
Magseed® – benefits for clinicians and patients
- Designed with the patient in mind – no radioactivity, reduced stress, less pain
- Placed in any soft tissue – breast lesion, lymph node, etc.
- Can be implanted for as long as needed – always reliably detectable by Sentimag®
- Smallest non-radioactive seed – ideal for lymph node placement
- Decoupling of OR and radiology scheduling
- Stays securely in place without migration from soft tissue
- Very low re-excision rate for lesions (11 % averaged over multiple studies)
- Magseed® has been used in over 50,000 tissue localisations
- Sentimag® and Magseed® are CE-marked and FDA-cleared for soft tissue
Regulatory documents, such as Instructions for Use, can be accessed with a valid My Sysmex login:Go to My Sysmex